SPECIAL GUEST BLOG FROM WOLF BLASS CHIEF WINEMAKER, CHRIS HATCHER, SHARES HIS TIPS FOR ENTERTAINING THIS SUMMER AROUND THE SWIMMING POOL.
Summer to me screams long seafood lunches and relaxed gourmet barbeques by the water. As such, you need to plan your entertaining accordingly. My top picks for Summer food and wine pairings include;
- Freshly shucked oysters with Wolf Blass Gold Label Sparkling 2011 followed by barbequed yabbies and Moreton Bay bugs with a crisp Wolf Blass White Label Chardonnay 2012,
- Lamb fillets work perfectly with our Gold Label Syrah whilst our Grey Label Shiraz 2011 is the perfect match for Fillet steak.
- BBQ accompaniments are your chance to impress your guests and shine! One of my favourite salads is Beetroot, Butternut and Feta sprinkled with pepitas and a white wine, olive oil and dijon mustard dressing.
- Summer is a time for celebrating, and no celebration is complete without the pop of a cork. Wolf Blass Gold Label Adelaide Hills Sparkling is my favourite for summer days lazing by the pool, followed closely by our White Label Riesling.
- The warm days of Summer always suit refreshing white wines like the Wolf Blass Gold Label Adelaide Hills Sauvignon Blanc or Wolf Blass Gold Label Eden Valley Riesling.
- On those magnificent balmy nights, I thoroughly enjoy an elegant red wine like the Wolf Blass Gold Label Adelaide Hills Syrah 2012.
- White wines should not be over-chilled in summer so serve at refrigerator temperature but keep on ice once outside by the pool.
- I always keep my red wines at 16 degrees centigrade so when served they are at around 18. Ambient temperature red wines in summer are a no- no.
- For a delicious, fresh and fruity dessert combine lightly crushed mixed berries with a sprinkle of sugar to taste, and top with a glass of Gold Label Sparkling Pinot Noir Chardonnay. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours to allow the flavours to combine.
- I’ve got a bit of a sweet tooth and absolutely love pairing decadent desserts with decadent wines. My top pick is Vanilla and Orange panna cotta with our Gold Label Botrytis Semillon because they are both so deliciously indulgent.
- To mix things up a little, why not try our super sophisticated Shiraz Berrytini 60 ml Wolf Blass Silver Label Shiraz 30 ml Blackcurrant vodka 15 ml Crème de Cassis 15 ml Triple Sec.60 ml cranberry juice Shake all ingredients together in a cocktail shaker filled with crushed ice and pour into martini glasses garnished with fresh berries. Shake all ingredients together in a cocktail shaker filled with crushed ice and pour into martini glasses garnished with fresh berries. Delicious!
Enjoy summer entertaining with your very own Narellan Pool, call 1300 676 657 today!